Roberta Sullivan, Teaching & Learning Strategist and EmTech Director; Cherie Van Putten, Instructional Designer and EmTech Associate Director; Christine Marchese, Associate Professor and EmTech Administrative Fellow; Nicole Simon, Professor and EmTech Administrative Fellow; EmTechHIGHER EDUCATION
The State University of New York’s Emerging Technologies for Lifelong Learning and Success (EmTech or #EmTechMOOC; http://suny.edu/emtech) is an open-access resource available in Coursera to promote lifelong learning strategies and the development of media-rich and reflective portfolios. EmTech serves faculty, college students, current and career-seeking professionals and anyone from across the globe with a desire to learn how to use emerging technologies to succeed in today’s rapidly changing world.
EmTech was developed through a collaboration among students, faculty, and staff from many SUNY campuses. Support is provided through the University at Buffalo, Binghamton University, and the SUNY Center for Professional Development. Funding has been provided through the grant awards.
This session will briefly introduce the SUNY EmTech project. We will dedicate the majority of the session to introduce the wide variety of freely-available tools available in the EmTechWIKI collection within the Gamification and Simulation categories. Participants will be encouraged to specifically explore resources that can be applied to a wide variety of learning scenarios.
The following elements of play are inherent in SUNY EmTech:
- Discovery-based learning is integrated throughout the experience.
- Participants have autonomy to choose what they want to explore.
- ePortfolios allow participants to frame their learning around personal narratives.
- Community is created by sharing reflections about learning.
- Digital badges and certificates motivate learners to build their skills.
Attendees of this session will:
- learn about free resources to gamify instruction to motivate and engage learners.
- explore resources to create and adapt simulations to design authentic learning activities.
- discover how institutions and instructors can implement training cohorts using the EmTech curriculum and how to adapt portions of the creative-commons licensed content.
- learn about our evaluation process to ensure that the tools, tutorials, and resources are accessible and honor privacy/security implications.
Learn more about SUNY EmTech, including the project’s impact, and what people are saying about their involvement.